California Certificate Of Rehabilitation FAQFrequently Asked Questions

Obtaining a certificate of rehabilitation in California can be a complicated process. That is why our attorneys have answered all of the most commonly asked questions for you. Want to know if you are eligible for a certificate of rehabilitation? Take our free online test to find out.

Simply click on a question to see its answer:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask your question in the comments below so we can answer it for you!

Comments (7)

Topic: California Certificate of Rehabilitation FAQ
Add a Comment

Mark jett
8th June 2015 4:24pm
Can I get a certificate of rehabilitaion in California if i have a felony conviction in Texas? It was 10 years since the case was discharged and probation/parole was completed.
No, you can only apply for a California Certificate of Rehabilitation for a CA conviction.  You will need to seek relief in Texas for a case that occurred there.
Dave H.
30th May 2015 1:41am
I have many felony and misdemeanor convictions that would not be eligible for expungement. Can you just expunge the one misdemeanor 314.1 PC M so that I would not be required to register any more under 290 PC?
Please take the eligibility test to determine if a specific case is eligible.  However, an expungement in California will not remove the registration requirement under PC 290.
Leon Holston
24th December 2014 9:10pm
Once my certificate of rehabilitation is granted, am I eligible for an expungememt or do I have the possibility of reducing my charge to a misdeamenor?
Jimmy bags
13th December 2014 1:19am
Can I be a police officer if I get a certificate of rehabilitation for my felony drug charge that got reduced to a misdemeanor?
Jenna Thorne
15th December 2014 1:23pm
If your conviction occurred prior to January 1, 2004 and has been reduced pursuant to 17(b), you are not disqualified under Government Code section 1029. However, unfortunately if the disqualification under §1029 applies to you because of your felony conviction, then a Certificate of Rehabilitation would not remove that disqualification or allow you to become a police officer.
12th September 2014 9:51pm
The felony was committed in my much younger days over thirty years ago in California. I have since been a liscenced pastor in a non-denominational protestant church, and owned my own construction company. My wife of twenty-five years is a Canadian citizen and needs to return to Canada to live and care for her eldery father. However, Canada will not allow me entrance due to this old conviction. I live in Oregon and have lived in the same area for over fifteen years. I have had no legal problems or arrests or any contact with police or criminal type people in all these years. Can you help me?
13th September 2014 12:16am
The best thing to do is to take our online eligibility test or to call us.

Add Comment

Please use this section to ask questions about the law, our law firm or our services. If you have questions about your particular situation or wish to hire us to perform a service, please take the online eligibility test, read our website's extensive frequently asked question section or call us at (877) 573-7273.

Questions about your right to possess a firearm in a state other than the state where the conviction occurred generally require research for which we charge $250.

* Required information
(never displayed)
Instantly find out if you're eligible on our Eligibility Test