Arizona Civil & Firearm Rights Restoration FAQFrequently Asked Questions

This page was designed to help our clients better understand our Arizona civil rights restoration and Firearm rights restoration services. You will find answers to the questions we are most frequently asked. If your question is related to eligibility requirements please take the free online eligibility test.

Simply click on a question to see its answer:

Comments (12)

Topic: Arizona Civil & Firearm Rights Restoration FAQ

Sort
Luke
18th January 2015 8:33am
Where on my record does it show that I cannot own a firearm? how can I see if I have a lifetime ban?
Admin:
Thank you for asking.  First of all, you do not have one record.  You have several records from several sources.  Unfortunately, probably none expressly say whether or not if you can own a firemarm.  Most likely, you would have to apply state and federal law to your record.  We would be glad to answer any questions that you have here or over the phone.  If the answers are simple, there is no charge.  If it involves some research, we typically charge $250.
Bhargav
5th January 2015 5:22pm
My landlord filed a case against me for cleaning issues with the apartment. We paid a fine to the court for that case which was in Maricopa County, Arizona. The record is on my SSN now and creating issues with future landlords. What should I do in this case? Can that be expunged?
Admin:
This sounds like a civil case.  This web site and our expertise is limited to criminal records.  Sorry that we cannot be of help with this issue.
RVT
1st October 2014 11:42pm
I have a domestic violence and disturbing the peace conviction. They took possession of my shotgun that I had removed from my partner, unloaded, and threw approximately 50 yards into the desert. My probation ends on 07/16/2015. Could this conviction be mitigated at all? Is it possible to also get civil rights restored? I have an acquittal and a dismissal on two previous occasions. Even though I think it reads like I'm some nefarious character, can anything be done to clean those up as well? It has already impeded my ability to take employment opportunities.
MathewHigbee
1st October 2014 11:48pm
Possibly. However, if the elements of the crime for which you were convicted meet the federal definition of misdemeanor domestic violence, it be very unlikely. Here is the definition: "has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon, committed by a current or former spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited with the victim as a spouse, parent, or guardian, or by a person similarly situated to a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim."
rvt
1st October 2014 11:56pm
The assault portion was dropped and I was only physically involved with removing the weapon from the area. As I understand it. I disturbed the peace by having a loud voice and shutting doors with too much enthusiasm. I had no idea my right to freedom of speech would have no bearing on that and was completely outclassed by the professional prosecutor. I think they actually laughed at me.
Tiffany
28th September 2014 4:58am
I live in Arizona and had my record set aside and all of my rights restored. I tried purchasing a gun and was denied due to answering "yes" on if I had ever been convicted of a felony. How do I get around this? Can I answer no or is that a crime? Please help.
cowboy
18th September 2014 5:47pm
I live in Arizona, I have my gun rights restored. Will I be able to purchase a firearm from a gun store and pass the background check through the federal government?
MathewHigbee
18th September 2014 6:09pm
Arizona offers firearm rights restoration for people who have lost their rights due to a state and federal conviction (even if the federal conviction was outside of Arizona). Our clients who have had their rights restored have reported no problems passing background checks through the federal government. Keep in mind that restoration of the right to possess a firearm in AZ does not necessarily mean that the right will be restored in another state. For instance, if you have a felony conviction in Arizona state court, Arizona may restore your right to purchase or own a firearm, but California, which does not allow felons to own firearms, may deny the right to purchase or own a firearm.
xavier
7th July 2014 9:18am
I have an attempted misconduct involving a weapons charge for being a prohibited possessor in the state of Arizona. I am going to complete probation in two months. Will I be able to restore my rights?
Jenna Thorne
8th July 2014 6:34pm
Xavier, your eligibility will depend on whether your weapons charge was designated as a "dangerous offense." If it was you would not be eligible, but if the charge was only based on possession, and not use or displaying of the weapon, it is very likely that was not a dangerous offense. However, for any felony you also must satisfy a two-year waiting period from the end of probation before you can petition, so either way you would not be able to restore your rights immediately.
Perry Menchaca
28th June 2014 4:25pm
My wife was convicted of domestic violence in Tucson in 1995. She was the one who called the police, but both her and her husband were taken to jail. She is Korean, and at the time she did not speak or understand English well. She spent the night in jail and the next morning went in to see a judge. The judge explained that if she did not have anymore problems she could go home and not have to go to jail. She agreed. She was not aware that she was admitting guilt to a domestic violence charge. There was no weapon involved. She is long since divorced and re-married to me since 2000. We reside in Washington State. Can she ever get her right to own a gun restored?
Jenna Thorne
30th June 2014 11:17pm
Hello Perry, unfortunately from what you've described there is no remedy currently under Arizona law that would assist your wife in restoring her firearm rights. However because you reside in WA, it is possible she may be eligible to restore her firearm rights in Washington even though her conviction was out of state. She should run through the eligibility test for WA or call our office to further discuss her case and eligibility. Thank you!

Please use this section to ask questions about the law, our law firm or our services. If you have questions about your particular situation or wish to hire us to perform a service, please take the online eligibility test, read our website's extensive frequently asked question section or call us at (877) 573-7273.

Questions about your right to possess a firearm in a state other than the state where the conviction occurred generally require research for which we charge $250.

* Required information