Florida Gun Rights Restoration FAQFrequently Asked Questions

This page was designed to help our clients better understand our Florida gun rights restoration service. You will find answers to the questions we are most frequently asked. If your question is related to eligibility requirements please take the free online eligibility test.

Simply click on a question to see its answer:

Comments (11)

Topic: Florida Gun Rights Restoration FAQ

Sort
Jimmy Brownell
24th November 2014 11:40pm
I have been out of jail and clean for 5 years. I have been working and have not even had a speeding ticket. I have even have many top officals that will write letters for me. How long will it take to get my rights back?
MathewHigbee
30th November 2014 3:49pm
It is very difficult to say. The state of FL is giving a wide range of estimates on the amount of time it takes for them to process and approve a request to restore firearm rights. The most recent estimate of time to process the request is 5 to 7 years. In other words, it will take approximately 5 to 7 years, from the date the request is received, to get a decision.
Chris
15th November 2014 11:14pm
Can you get your gun rights back if you got a federal felony over a state felony?
David
31st October 2014 7:10am
I submitted my form on May 13th of 2013 and I have still gotten no response. How long does the restoration of firearm rights take? I was charged with a felony for the sale and delivery of marijuana.
Eugene
7th October 2014 1:20pm
I was convicted for a felony possession of an illegal firearm (sawed off shotgun) without violence in Missouri in 1990. I was and still am a resident in Florida. I served a 6 month sentence and was released. I also have one arrest for being drunk and disorderly sometime between 1993-1995. My record has been clean ever since. Will I be able to get my gun rights back?
M. Martissa
21st August 2014 4:56am
I was convicted of Failure to Pay Child Support in federal court and sentenced to 3 months at FDC Miami. I was granted clemency and have had no convictions of ANY violent crimes. When and if, can I get my gun rights restored?
Jenna Thorne
25th August 2014 6:21pm
Your question raises a few additional pieces of information that would relevant and helpful to answering your question. First, it sounds like you were convicted of 18 U.S.C. § 228. That section can be a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the amount due and the amount of time that it has been past due. If you were convicted of a misdemeanor, you most likely have not lost your firearm rights. If you are unsure on the level of the offense, you should be able to contact the court to obtain that information. You then went on to say you were granted clemency. I am not sure exactly what you mean by clemency, such as federal clemency (pardon). If you did receive a presidential pardon, then that would restore your firearm rights lost as a result of that federal felony conviction.According to the US Department of Justice's website, if you do have a federal felony conviction, the presidential pardon is currently the only way to restore the right to bear arms.
chris
25th July 2014 1:50am
I got out of prison when I was 22 years old. I went in when I was 16 years old for robbery with deadly weapon. I am now 28. Last year I was arrested and sentenced for DUI. Other than that I've been clean. I bought a home, have 3 children and got married. I made a mistake. Do I have to wait longer to regain my rights due to the DUI?
MathewHigbee
25th July 2014 2:36am
Great question. All of the information on our site and the other lawyer and government site's suggest that you have to wait 8 years from your most recent conviction. However, I am not 100% if they mean 8 years from the offense that resulted in the loss of your firearm rights or from any offense. If you are in a hurry for an answer, we would be glad to do additional research for you for flat-fee of $200. Otherwise, I will put this question on the list for further research and a more detailed answer should be posted in about 6 months.
ubermench1000 .
19th July 2014 5:58am
How long after my probation has ended and my general civil rights restored must I wait to apply for gun rights restoration in Florida?
Jenna Thorne
29th July 2014 2:58pm
Under the current rules in place in Florida, you must wait 8 years since the completion of all sentences, including the probation. While there used to be mechanisms in place to waive that requirement, in 2011 the Board and the Governor removed the time period (waiting period) waivers, meaning there is currently no way around this 8 year waiting period. Because you have had your civil rights restored, you are likely close or have already satisfied the 8 year requirement. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss the Florida firearm rights restoration process.

* Required information