(877) 573-7273

Florida Gun Rights Restoration FAQFrequently Asked Questions

This page was designed to help our clients better understand our Florida gun rights restoration service. You will find answers to the questions we are most frequently asked. If your question is related to eligibility requirements please take the free online eligibility test.

Simply click on a question to see its answer:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask your question in the comments below so we can answer it for you!


ubermench1000 .

07/19/2014 05:58 am

How long after my probation has ended and my general civil rights restored must I wait to apply for gun rights restoration?(In Florida)


07/25/2014 01:50 am

I got out of prison when I was 22yrs old. I went in at 16yrs old for robbery with deadly weapon. I am now 28. Last year I was arrested and sentenced for dui.....other than that I've been clean. I bought a home, have 3 children and got married. I made a mistake.....do I have to wait longer to regain my rights due to the dui?


07/25/2014 02:36 am

Great question. All of the information on our site and the other lawyer and government site's suggest that you have to wait 8 years from your most recent conviction. However, I am not 100% if they mean 8 years from the offense that resulted in the loss of your firearm rights or from any offense. If you are in a hurry for an answer, we would be glad to do additional research for you for flat-fee of $200. Otherwise, I will put this question on the list for further research and a more detailed answer should be posted in about 6 months.

Jenna Thorne

07/29/2014 02:58 pm

Under the current rules in place in Florida, you must wait 8 years since the completion of all sentences, including the probation. While there used to be mechanisms in place to waive that requirement, in 2011 the Board and the Governor removed the time period (waiting period) waivers, meaning there is currently no way around this 8 year waiting period. Because you have had your civil rights restored, you are likely close or have already satisfied the 8 year requirement. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss the Florida firearm rights restoration process.

M. Martissa

08/21/2014 04:56 am

I was convicted of Failure to pay child support in federal court and sentenced to 3 months at FDC Miami....I was granted clemency and have had no convictions of ANY violent crimes....When and if, can I get my gun rights restored?

Jenna Thorne

08/25/2014 06:21 pm

Your question raises a few additional pieces of information that would relevant and helpful to answering your question. First, it sounds like you were convicted of 18 U.S.C. § 228. That section can be a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the amount due and the amount of time that it has been past due. If you were convicted of a misdemeanor, you most likely have not lost your firearm rights. If you are unsure on the level of the offense, you should be able to contact the court to obtain that information. You then went on to say you were granted clemency. I am not sure exactly what you mean by clemency, such as federal clemency (pardon). If you did receive a presidential pardon, then that would restore your firearm rights lost as a result of that federal felony conviction.

According to the US Department of Justice's website, if you do have a federal felony conviction, the presidential pardon is currently the only way to restore the right to bear arms.


10/07/2014 01:20 pm

I was convicted for a felony possession of an illegal firearm (sawed off shotgun) without violence in Missouri in 1990. I was and still am a resident in Florida. I served a 6 month sentence and was released. I also have one arrest for being drunk and disorderly sometime between 1993-1995. My record has been clean ever since. Will I be able to get my gun rights back?

comments powered by Disqus