Washington Gun & Civil Rights Restoration FAQFrequently Asked Questions

This page was designed to help our clients better understand our Washington firearm rights restoration service and civil rights restoration service. You will find answers to the questions we are most frequently asked. If your question is related to eligibility requirements please take the free online eligibility test.

Simply click on a question to see its answer:

Comments (20)

Topic: Washington Gun & Civil Rights Restoration FAQ

Sort
Chip
17th November 2014 10:28pm
I want to be able to buy a 22 long rifle to shoot with my grand son, but I was convicted of vehicular assault. Can I get my rights back? It has been 22 years since the vehicular assault charge.
Cinda
18th October 2014 4:55pm
Hello and thank you for having this website! I have a conviction in Pierce County, but I now live in Thurston County. Do I still need to file in Pierce County to restore my gun rights?
Jenna Thorne
27th October 2014 10:36pm
According to RCW 9.41.040(4), which is the Washington statute governing firearm rights restoration, an individual may petition in the court where the petitioner was convicted (the court that ordered the petitioner's prohibition on possession of a firearm) or in the superior court in the county in which the petitioner resides.
Eli
1st October 2014 1:45am
I have a disorderly conduct DV conviction and then a subsequent violation of a no contact order (that stemmed from the original conviction). Do I need to go through the rights restoration process twice, once for each conviction, or just one time to cover everything?
MathewHigbee
1st October 2014 2:45am
Washington's firearm right restoration is based on the person, not the case. So, no, you would only need to do it once assuming that you are eligible.
Tyler
27th September 2014 4:35pm
I have one domestic violence 4 charge and a domestic violence destruction of property charge. Both of which are misdemeanor charges. All of my fines are paid and I've completed everything that the courts have asked me to do. They said my gun rights were gone for life. I've been told differently by other people. What do I have to do and how long do I have to wait to try to get them back? I primarily want them back as a means to put food on the table.
Shawn Bullis
13th September 2014 2:04pm
I have a correction to make. On June 3rd, 1993 I was convicted of class c felony 13 day short of my 18 birthday. I did a criminal history search on WSP and it showed up. What does this mean?
MathewHigbee
13th September 2014 3:37pm
A felony will cause you to lose your firearm rights pursuant to state and federal law. You can, however, apply to have your firearm rights restored. We would be glad to assist you with this. You can read about the service at http://www.recordgone.com/wash...
Shawn Bullis
13th September 2014 3:41pm
How much would it cost?
Justin
1st December 2014 5:59pm
Why does Washington gun restoration lift the lautenberg amendment for misdemenor domestic violence?
MathewHigbee
1st December 2014 6:20pm
Washington firearm rights restoration will only lift the federal ban (aka Lautenberg Amendment) if the state of Washington also put a ban on the person for committing a misdemeanor of domestic violence, which Washington does in some instances.
Shawn Bullis
13th September 2014 5:11am
I was convicted of 3rd degree theft in 1997. Am I allowed to possess a firearm in Washington State?
MathewHigbee
13th September 2014 5:35am
A 3rd degree theft is a gross misdemeanor in Washington. While some gross misdemeanors can result in the loss of firearm rights in Washington, theft is not one of them.RCW 9A.56.050(2) defines third degree theft a gross misdemeanor. I have never seen 3rd degree theft classified as a felony. http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/defa...
Eric
31st August 2014 1:23pm
I was accused of assault 4th degree domestic violence but it was amended to assault with out the DV do i still have my gun rights? I ask because i was never told to surrender any weapons or that my gun rights had been lost and this happened 8 years ago.Thanks
MathewHigbee
1st September 2014 10:29pm
Assuming the case was in WA and not a felony, WA will not prevent you from owning a firearm. For purposes of the federal ban on people who commit misdemeanor domestic violence, that is a little trickier. Application of the federal ban is fact specific. So, if the NCIS reviewed your case and found that what you were convicted of met all of the elements of the federal definition of domestic violence, they would apply the ban. In short, if you were convicted of misdemeanor for assault and the victim was one described under federal law, the ban could be applied to you.
Eric
2nd September 2014 9:44pm
First off, thank you Matthew for your response, and yes this happened in Washington. If the case was amended to 4th degree non DV assault, does that mean that I was not convicted of domestic violence?
Tyler
6th August 2014 11:30pm
How do I go about getting my gun rights back?
MathewHigbee
7th August 2014 7:59pm
The answer really depends on why you have lost your gun rights. Please provide a little more information and I will do my best to answer it here. You can also call us for a free phone consultation.
Jay Graves
12th July 2014 7:51am
It's simply not true that you will have your firearm rights restored from a federal conviction by petitioning a state court. That was determined by the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled that only the federal courts could restore this right under a federal conviction. This law firm MUST know better if they're experienced. Research it.
MathewHigbee
16th July 2014 8:32pm
Hi Jay. I have good news, you are wrong. However, you would be right if we were talking about federal convictions. The good news is that states can restore the rights that their courts take away. So, if a conviction in a state, such as Washington, causes a person to lose their rights, that state can restore the right. That area of law is well established and we have successfully done it for hundreds of clients. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

* Required information