Washington Gun & Civil Rights Restoration FAQFrequently Asked Questions

This page was designed to help our clients better understand our Washington firearm rights restoration service and civil rights restoration service. You will find answers to the questions we are most frequently asked. If your question is related to eligibility requirements please take the free online eligibility test.

Simply click on a question to see its answer:

Comments:

Jay Graves

07/12/2014 07:51 am

It's simply not true that you will have your firearm rights restored from a federal conviction by petitioning a state court. That was determined by the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled that only the federal courts could restore this right under a federal conviction. This law firm MUST know better if they're experienced. Research it.

MathewHigbee

07/16/2014 08:32 pm

Hi Jay. I have good news, you are wrong. However, you would be right if we were talking about federal convictions. The good news is that states can restore the rights that their courts take away. So, if a conviction in a state, such as Washington, causes a person to lose their rights, that state can restore the right. That area of law is well established and we have successfully done it for hundreds of clients. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Tyler

08/06/2014 11:30 pm

How do I go about getting my gun rights back?

MathewHigbee

08/07/2014 07:59 pm

Tyler. The answer really depends on why you have lost your gun rights. Please provide a little more information and I will do my best to answer it here. You can also call us for a free phone consultation.

Eric

08/31/2014 01:23 pm

I was accused of assault 4th degree domestic violence but it was amended to assault with out the DV do i still have my gun rights? I ask because i was never told to surrender any weapons or that my gun rights had been lost and this happened 8 years ago.

Thanks

MathewHigbee

09/01/2014 10:29 pm

Assuming the case was in WA and not a felony, WA will not prevent you from owning a firearm. For purposes of the federal ban on people who commit misdemeanor domestic violence, that is a little trickier. Application of the federal ban is fact specific. So, if the NCIS reviewed your case and found that what you were convicted of met all of the elements of the federal definition of domestic violence, they would apply the ban. In short, if you were convicted of misdemeanor for assault and the victim was one described under federal law, the ban could be applied to you.

Eric

09/02/2014 09:44 pm

First off thank you Matthew for your response and yes this happened in Washington. If the case was amended to non DV assault 4th degree does that mean that I was not convicted of domestic violence?

Shawn Bullis

09/13/2014 05:11 am

I was convicted of 3rd degree theft in 1997 am I alowed to possess a fire arm in wa st.

MathewHigbee

09/13/2014 05:35 am

A 3rd degree theft is a gross misdemeanor in Washington. While some gross misdemeanors can result in the loss of firearm rights in Washington, theft is not one of them.

RCW 9A.56.050(2) defines third degree theft a gross misdemeanor. I have never seen 3rd degree theft classified as a felony. http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/defa...

Shawn Bullis

09/13/2014 02:04 pm

I have a correction to make on june 3rd 1993 I was convicted of class c felony 13 day short of my 18 birthday. I did a criminal history search on WSP and showed up what does this mean.

MathewHigbee

09/13/2014 03:37 pm

A felony will cause you to lose your firearm rights pursuant to state and federal law. You can, however, apply to have your firearm rights restored. We would be glad to assist you with this. You can read about the service at http://www.recordgone.com/wash...

Shawn Bullis

09/13/2014 03:41 pm

How much would it cost.

Tyler

09/27/2014 04:35 pm

I have a question, I have one dv 4 charge and a dv destruction of property, both of which are misdemeanor charges. All my fines are paid and I've completed everything that the courts have asked me to. They said my gun rights were gone for life. I've been told differently by other people. What do I have to do and how long do I have to wait to try to get them back? I primarily want them back as a means to put food on the table.

Eli

10/01/2014 01:45 am

I have a disorderly conduct DV conviction and then a subsequent violation of no contact order (that stemmed from the original conviction). Do I need to go through the rights restoration process twice, one for each conviction, or just one time to cover everything?

MathewHigbee

10/01/2014 02:45 am

Washington's firearm right restoration is based on he person, not the case. So, no, you would only need to do it once— assuming that you are eligible.

Cinda

10/18/2014 04:55 pm

Hello and thank you for having this website! I have a conviction in Pierce County, but I now live in Thurston County. Do I still need to file in Pierce County to restore my gun rights?

Chip

11/17/2014 10:28 pm

I want to be able to buy a 22 long rifle to shoot with my grand son but I was convicted of vehicular assault. Can I get my rights back., been 22 years

comments powered by Disqus