New York Certificate Of Relief From Disabilities FAQFrequently Asked Questions

This page was designed to help our clients better understand our New York Certificate of Relief from Disabilities service. You will find answers to the questions we are most frequently asked. If your question is related to eligibility requirements please take the free online eligibility test.

Comments (7)

Topic: New York Certificate of Relief from Disabilities FAQ

Sort
Stevina T.
27th June 2015 3:06pm
A Buffalo New York judge (whom convicted me of assault charges in 2008) denied me certificates. After a four months process of probation interviews, proof of my nail salon ownership, pay stubs from both my current employers, I was still DENIED. I received the paper from city court this morning. The paper does not state WHY I was denied. I am told that I can reapply in six months. I began LPN SCHOOL next month. What can I do to guarantee that I get APPROVED for the certificates when I reapply? We all know nurses need to be of positive moral character. I have definitely changed. I need this certificate to obtain employment. Please help.
Admin:
I am sorry to hear that your request for a Certificate was recently denied. There is no simple answer I can give to you that will guarantee your next request be approved, especially without knowing more about your case or your current circumstances.  If you would like to discuss your case further or are interested in having our firm represent you and put together the best case possible when you reapply in six months, please contact our office. Thank you.
Eric C.
5th March 2015 4:52am
Will the the Certificate of Relief (DC DPCA-52) appear in a typical background check report when a potential employer receives the background check report?
Admin:
The entry of the Certificate of Relief should have been added to the official records following the court granting the relief. However, we see all the time following other record clearing relief that private background check companies provide inaccurate/old information to potential employers.  If the background check company has followed up with the court to ensure their information is up-to-date and accurate, the fact that a Certifcate has been granted should appear following the conviction information, but unfortunately it is common for the reports to not provide a complete picture.  If you are interested in our service which would help update information in commercial background check companies, please visit this page: http://www.recordgone.com/expedited-record-clearance-update.htm
Daniel F.
3rd March 2015 10:18am
I was granted a relief of disabilities in November of 1973, and I have never been arrested since then.  Can this help me in getting a real estate salesman license?
Admin:
Yes, a Ceritifcate for Relief of Disabilities can definitely help you obtain a real estate salesman license in New York. It can however depend on the exact wording of the relief granted at the time it was issued.  If it only specifically relieved certain disabilities, you could file for a supplemental one at this time to include relief from the disability to obtain this specific license. From the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision: "A Certificate of Relief may remove any mandatory legal bar or disability imposed as a result of conviction of the crime or crimes specified in the certificate. ... Note that removing mandatory legal bars restores your right to apply and be considered for employment or license, but does not guarantee it will be granted."  The Certificate may allow you to apply and allows them to grant the license, but does not require them to do so.
Vicky S.
1st March 2015 2:34pm
What if the job do background check or fingerprint back ground check if you have a certificate of release of disability what will they see if they search my name and fingerprint? I would just like to know.
Admin:
This question is addressed above under the "Updating of Records and Background Checks After Certifcate" section.  The case and the conviction will still appear, but there will be an entry added to that case which indicates the Certificate of Relief from Disabilities has been granted. This allows a potential employer to know that the court has found you rehabilitated, but the fact of the conviction is not removed from your records.
Dee mann
9th October 2014 8:01pm
How do I get copies of my certificate of relief? I need them for a job.
Fred
2nd October 2014 5:37pm
Will a certificate of relief or certificate of good conduct restore my right to own a firearm?
andrew
25th September 2014 6:28am
I have box A checked. Is that appropriate to get my pistol license back? My attorney said it is, while the police department said that it wasn't.

Please use this section to ask questions about the law, our law firm or our services. If you have questions about your particular situation or wish to hire us to perform a service, please take the online eligibility test, read our website's extensive frequently asked question section or call us at (877) 573-7273.

Questions about your right to possess a firearm in a state other than the state where the conviction occurred generally require research for which we charge $250.

* Required information