Minnesota Restoration Of Gun Rights FAQFrequently Asked Questions

Are you trying to restore your gun rights in Minnesota? If so, you have come to the right place. Below you will find a list of the most commonly asked questions regarding firearm rights restoration. Let us help you get your rights back with our Minnesota restoration of gun rights service. If you are unsure if you are eligible to get your gun rights restored, please take our free eligibility test.

Simply click on a question to see its answer:

Simply click on a question below to view its answer.

Comments (9)

Topic: Minnesota Restoration of Gun Rights FAQ

A shire
9th June 2015 4:32am
Can a person who was convicted of misdemeanor Soliciting Prostitution 4 years ago buy a gun?
If that is the the only offense on your record, you are most likely able to purchase a gun. While Soliciting Prostitution is listed in the "crime of violence" definition, the definition specifies it only applies to felony level offenses. There are also various other reasons, in addition to criminal records, why one may be prohibited from possessing a firearm.  For more information regarding your eligibility to purchase a firearm, you can review the actual application that must be submitted in order to receive a permit to buy a firearm: MN Firearm Application

8th June 2015 9:30pm
Ok I have read about the restoring gun right a petition of court under § 609.165 in Minnesota , question is can I do the paper work myself? I am poor and cannot afford an attorney. None of my Misdemeanor petty assault charges have anything to do with a firearm. But fall with in \'crimes of violence\'.
Like most legal services, you do not need to hire an attorney to handle a firearm restoration in Minnesota.  You can file the restoration petition yourself; however, an attorney would assist you in making sure you had all the necessary information needed before filing, that the paperwork was drafted and filed with the court properly, and most importantly, would respond to any objections by the state and appear at any hearings on your behalf.
25th April 2015 9:17pm
I have a non violent felony in Illinois would like to get restored for Minnesota.
If you are interested in determining your options for restoring your firearm rights, please contact out office.  We can do a firearm rights evaluation for a small fee.  This area of law can be very complex, especially when the situation involves more than one state as federal law also comes into play.  We can look into your situation and your options for restoring your rights in Illinois and/or Minnesota.
15th February 2015 8:18am
How can I determine if my gun rights have already been restored?
To determine if you are eligible to purchase a firearm in Minnesota, you can review the restrictions listed on the application: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Documents/Permit-to-Purchase-Transfer-Application.pdf.  In the FAQs above, we have listed the offenses that are considered a "crime of violence" in MN.  If you were restricted and have submitted an application for restoration with the court, you would be notified, by receipt of a signed granted order, once the court has decided on that application.  If you can honestly sign the application linked above, stating that those restrictions do not apply to you, you can submit that to apply for a permit to purchase. Contact out office if you have any concerns about a possible restriction and we can do a firearm rights analysis to determine if you are currently restricted under either state or federal law.
28th January 2015 8:43pm
I plead guilty to conspiracy to commit first degree assault when I was 17. I was placed on EJJ until I am 21.
I was wondering if at all its possible to even get my gun rights back as my entire family are gun enthusiasts, and it keeps me away from a big section of my life all for 3 months of me being stupid! Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Given that you were sentenced as an EJJ “extended jurisdiction juvenile,” for a crime of violence, you are subject to a lifetime firearm prohibition under MN law.  However, the good news is that you can apply for a gun restoration.  The same section of MN law that permits adults convicted of a crime of violence to apply for a restoration allows those sentenced EJJ to apply as well. If the restoration is denied, there is a 3 year waiting period before you can reapply.
11th December 2014 3:01am
What is the average cost for gun rights restoration?
Jenna Thorne
11th December 2014 10:47am
You can find more information on the pricing of this service here: http://www.recordgone.com/expungement-minnesota/restoration-of-gun-rights/

Our flat fee covers the entire process, including all the work conducted by the attorney, attendance at any hearings, and the court costs/filing fees.
13th November 2014 5:42am
I'm trying to get my gun rights back. My last conviction a 2008 drug charge in Minnesota. I've been off paper and paid all my fines and restitution. Can I get my gun rights back and what do I have to do? How long do I have to wait?
Jenna Thorne
3rd December 2014 3:56pm
There is no set time for how long someone must wait to apply for firearm restoration in Minnesota. The only requirements under the statute is that you have been released from physical confinement and the court must find "good cause" to restore the rights. The more evidence you have to show that you need your rights restored (such as for a job or for hunting) and that you are not a danger to anyone else or yourself, the better your chances of success. Please contact us to discuss the specifics of your case.

Please use this section to ask questions about the law, our law firm or our services. If you have questions about your particular situation or wish to hire us to perform a service, please take the online eligibility test, read our website's extensive frequently asked question section or call us at (877) 573-7273.

Questions about your right to possess a firearm in a state other than the state where the conviction occurred generally require research for which we charge $250.

* Required information