× Open in the RecordGone App Get
Higbee & Associates, a national law firm

Texas Civil Rights Restoration FAQFrequently Asked Questions

his page was designed to help our clients better understand our Texas Civil Rights Restoration service. You will find answers to the questions we are most frequently asked. If your question is related to eligibility requirements please take the free online eligibility test.

Simply click on a question to view its answer:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask your question in the comments below so we can answer it for you!

Comments (6)

Topic: Texas Civil Rights Restoration FAQ
Add a Comment

Lucas Humphrey
2nd June 2017 5:42pm
I have 3 state jail convictions. The third one was upgraded because it was my third. They are all non violent and not drug related. I am able to vote. Is there any chance of me getting my gun rights back?
Possibly. A restoration of civil rights in Texas does not necessarily restore your firearm rights so we generally reccomend either our Texas set aside service, which is not available in most parts of the Texas, or a governor's pardon in order to restore your firerarm rights.  We also offer a firearm rights analysis service in which we look into your specific circumstances.  You can learn more about the analysis service here: http://www.recordgone.com/gun-rights-restoration-analysis.htm.
Michael M
4th January 2016 9:18pm
I am a convicted non violent felon from VA. I had my civil rights restored and working on restoring my firearm rights. If granted, do I have to appeal to a court in Texas (I am a Texas resident now) to allow my rights to be restored here in Texas and be able to own and carry?
Because your question involves the interplay of the laws of two states, we cannot provide a detailed, accurate answer in this forum.  We would need to review your record and research how the VA restoration would be honored, if at all, in Texas.  Please contact our office if you would like for us to research this issue for you.
4th December 2015 12:24pm
I have a what I believe is a Class 2 felony for indecency with a child. I served three years probation of a seven year sentence. My lawer had the court release me early from probation. I have voted in and sat on a jury in Texas and I have had jury duty in Arizona where I now live. Have my rights been restored automatically and what about firearms?
In Texas, your right to vote is restored upon completion of your sentence. Also, not all felonies affect the ability to serve on a jury in all states. For example in Texas, felony theft offenses are prohibitive but not all felonies.  While some rights ares restored automatically such the right to vote, generally firearm rights are not. Please reach out to us if you wish for us to research your options to restore your firearm rights.
Andrew J.
31st July 2015 4:18pm
I completed felony probation for a dwi in 2006. I have a valid voters certificate and my record has been clean since completion of my sentence. Have all my civil right automatically been restored including forearm ownership?
Your firearm rights are not automatically restored; however the may judge have restored your rights/set aside the conviction at the time you completed your sentence.  If not, you may be eligible to do this now. You can contact the court to determine if your case was set aside already or we can do that for you for a small fee, which would then be applied to the cost of the set aside if you do still need to petition the court for it.  Please contact us with any questions.
10th April 2015 8:51pm
I want to know if it is possible to restore my gun rights in texas after having an assault family violence conviction from 2007, I served no jail time and completed probation successfully.
If your conviction was for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, then you are subject to a lifetime ban under Federal law (Lautenberg Amendment). Typically, in Texas the way to restore rights lost as a result of a state court conviction is to apply for a Set Aside  however, a Texas set aside will not life a federal firearm ban that applies to domestic violence convictions.
David Gage
27th September 2014 6:00pm
I just want to be able to own a gun and shoot in competitions. I have a felony conviction on my record, it is for aggravated assault against a peace officer. I was granted probation and completed this probation successfully. The document reads as follows: This matter having come on regularly before the above entitled court on petition of My Name; the above named defendant, for an order dismissing the indictment against him setting aside the verdict of guilty , and restoring the petitioner's civil rights, and the court having read the motion and the files contained herein, and being advised in the premises, now, therefore, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that the indictment against MyName in this, the defendant herein, be and it hereby is dismissed, and the verdict of guilty, entered in the above entitled cause, be and it hereby is set aside, and that the full civil rights of the defendant, My Name; be and they hereby are restored in full. DONE IN OPEN COURT this 12th day of November 1992. It ... Read More

Add Comment

Please use this section to ask questions about the law, our law firm or our services. If you have questions about your particular situation or wish to hire us to perform a service, please take the online eligibility test, read our website's extensive frequently asked question section or call us at (877) 573-7273.

Questions about your right to possess a firearm in a state other than the state where the conviction occurred generally require research for which we charge $250.

* Required information
(never displayed)
Instantly find out if you're eligible on our Eligibility Test

5 I am overwhelmed with joy that I found this service, I thought that I was going to live with the albatross for the rest of my life. They made this process as easy as it possibly could be and for an incredibly affordable rate. I could not be happier.
See More Reviews
Free Eligibility Test
//Google New Tag Manager Code 0823 JM